.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I.K.bot

Ivan Kirigin's views on Robotics & Culture: future. perfect. progress.

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Robosapien gets Pocket PC brain

This ad hoc throwing together of parts might look rough, but is extremely valuable. Not unlike the work I do, putting a smart perception system on top of a dumb (sense-response/BEAM) mechanical base is probably going to yield the best results in the short term.

Eventually, a more dynamic balancing system would be in order.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dean said...

I saw this and wanted to rip the head off my robosapien and hook it up to my pocket pc too.

Martin brought up entering Mobot, and I thought this would be a pretty cool way to do it. Visual servoing for a biped probably isn't covered too much in the literature, and I bet they haven't had too many bipeds enter mobot.

I just want to do it a little bit slicker, replacing the head with a USB spherical webcam, and then mounting the pocket pc down lower on the back somewhere, so I don't have to take the arms off. The only problem may be the lack of webcam drivers for windows CE though....

7:20 AM  
Blogger Ivan said...

How about a CMUcam? That should be able to follow a line with out a pocket-PC, right? Or can you get a serial interface to a pocket-PC?

7:47 AM  
Blogger Dean said...

Well, the reason they're using a PDA at all is because the Robosapien uses an IR remote to handle commands, so it's fairly simple to achieve computer control by hooking up the IR receiver on the robot to the IR port on a PDA.

So I don't think CMUcam could directly command the robot, but it would be a candidate for the vision side of the system. I guess it depends on how computationally demanding doing the perception on the pocketpc would be.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home